MRT Family Law Attorneys Host ‘Creating a Family in the 21st Century’ Panel
Family Law Attorneys Mahoney Richmond Thurston, PLLC presents “Creating a Family in the 21st Century: What You Need to Know,” a panel of professionals, on May 18, 2019, at 10 a.m. at the Chrysler Museum of Art in Norfolk.
As the American family changes and its dynamics evolve, it is more important now than ever to learn about options that exist for those who want to be parents. This event’s panel of professionals are skilled at same-sex adoption, surrogate-mother contracts, In vitro fertilization (IVF), INVOcellTM, foster parenting and other assisted-reproduction choices.
Event goers will have the opportunity to ask the
panelists pertinent family-planning questions. The event is free and open to
Each panelist will talk individually about their areas of knowledge before opening the floor to questions. There also will be a discussion with a couple who had the first Co-INVOcellTM baby in the U.S. with the assistance of The New Hope Center. INVOcell is a patented medical device used in the treatment of infertility that enables egg fertilization and early embryo development to take place in the woman’s body. Co-INVOcell provides both partners in a same-sex, female couple the ability to be involved in the pregnancy process. The Genetic Mother undergoes an egg retrieval. Those eggs are then introduced to sperm inside the INVOcell device. Either the Genetic Mother or the Gestational Mother will then carry the INVOcell device during the fertilization period. Once embryos are formed, the Gestational Mother then undergoes an embryo transfer in hopes of achieving pregnancy and carrying the child to term.
On the panel:
- Nicole M. Thurston, Esq. of Mahoney Richmond Thurston, PLLC, will address adoption. Ms. Thurston practices in the field of family law and adoption. She has worked with families in birth parent placement adoptions, adoptions from foster care, same sex couple adoptions, and agency adoptions (local and international).
- Lindsay Frederick, Esq., of The Frederick Law Group, will address gestational contracts. Ms. Frederick practices in the fields of debt collection, and assisted reproductive technology law. She has worked with and represented both intended parents and gestational carriers in drafting Gestational Carrier Agreements and same-sex couples in drafting Parentage Agreements. She has lived in Virginia Beach for more than 25 years.
- Dr. Robin Poe-Zeigler founded of The New Hope Center for Reproductive Medicine in 1997. Dr. Poe-Ziegler and her staff have spent more than two decades creating families in the Hampton Roads area, focusing on making each patient feel like a member of The New Hope family while working to expand theirs. The expert team at The New Hope Center is proud to have brought over 3,200 babies into the world.
- Nicole M. Fowler, MA, serves as the District Supervisor with Adoptions from the Heart in Chesapeake. The agency helps prospective adoptive parents and expectant parents understand their options and can complete full-placement services. The Adoptions from the Heart professionals are devoted to the happiness of prospective adoptive parents, pregnant women and their children.
- Heather Watkins, MPH, serves as the recruitment manager for Embrace Treatment Foster Care in Hampton Roads. Embrace provides specialized foster home placements for children who have been removed from their homes for unforeseen circumstances. Embrace TFC ensures that foster children have the best chance of success in their path to permanency by utilizing a team approach in which dedicated parents, caring professionals, and treatment tools come together in supportive collaboration.