Divorce Lawyers Williamsburg
Whether your divorce has been a long time coming or snuck up on you, it is usually a challenging process that requires an investment of not only money but also time and thought. Most spouses going through a divorce are not entirely aware of their rights and options. A well-versed Williamsburg divorce attorney can change this and help them navigate this process to a better future ahead.
How a Williamsburg Divorce Lawyer Can Help
If you are wondering whether you need a divorce attorney or not, it is essential that you understand how they can help. There are numerous benefits to hiring a skilled Williamsburg divorce attorney. These benefits apply to nearly any divorce and include:
- Having complicated laws clarified: Attorneys know the ins and outs of Virginia divorce laws and can help you in being proactive
- Protecting your rights and assets: If you are not aware of your rights, you could leave what is rightfully yours on the table. A lawyer knows the best ways to protect your interests.
- Gaining objectivity and perspective: Naturally, divorce comes with quite an array of emotions, including anger and sadness. It is easy to get distracted and focus on winning against your soon to be ex-spouse than working towards the best possible settlement. Lawyers can help you see the situation objectively, considering all factors.
- Relief from paperwork and court procedures: There are many deadlines and documents in divorce procedures. Using an attorney can help ensure that you have the right paperwork and are filing within set deadlines.
- Reducing uncivil communication: Ideally, all divorces would be amicable. When yours is not, a lawyer can communicate on your behalf so that you do not have to endure threats or angry words. Your attorney can make communication more businesslike.
- Having an advocate on your side: It is common to feel that it is you against the world in a divorce. Your spouse likely has their own attorney who represents their best interests and not yours. You deserve to have your own ally who is zealous about helping you make informed decisions.
- Protection from retaliation: Sometimes, angry spouses will seek retaliation in the form of an unjustified protective order. In contrast, some spouses need a protective order so that they are protected from possible violence and abuse. Either way, your attorney can help you with these issues.
- Saving money in the long run: Your lawyer’s job is to make sure you are getting a fair, legal settlement. Legal help is an investment in your peace of mind and your future. By paying for legal services now, you can avoid more costly endeavors trying to fix an unfair settlement in the future.
What Issues Need to Be Resolved in a Divorce?
Each divorce situation is unique; however, most couples have the same fundamental issues that need to be settled before the divorce can be finalized. These issues include:
If the couple is unable to settle these issues on their own or with the help of their attorneys or a mediator, a judge will be left to make decisions for them.
Williamsburg Divorce Lawyers: A Powerful Advocate
At Mahoney Richmond Thurston, PLLC, we provide you with affordable options for legal representation during your divorce. Matching you with the Williamsburg divorce lawyer that will best serve your needs and make you feel comfortable is an important step that we provide all of our clients. We have decades of experience helping individuals get through both simple and complex divorces. We aggressively advocate for our clients’ rights and, whenever possible, negotiate for a fair settlement so you can make a fresh start in life. Contact us to get your questions answered and schedule your divorce case review today.